This eager film piles on common fears: evil puppetry, haunted homes and overly generous hosts. So despite a sloppy and humorless execution, it is scary by association.
- Miriam Bale, New York Times, October 10, 2013
"Cassadaga" tries to scoop up enough tropes to satisfy a wide range of potential fright fans but lacks the cohesion to ever truly be effective.
- Robert Abele, Los Angeles Times, October 10, 2013
This silly throwback to the post-'Psycho' shockers of the '60s offers a sluggish giallo-like murder mystery spiked with grotesque sadism.
- Dennis Harvey, Variety, October 09, 2013
Attempts to leverage the horror genre in the service of inducing epiphanies, but keeps tripping over its confused tangle of genres.
- Chris Packham, Village Voice, October 08, 2013
Anthony DiBlasi's "Cassadaga" is the state of the art in horror movie storytelling, and the state of the art is horrendous.
- Steven Boone, RogerEbert.com, October 11, 2013