- , Time Out, November 16, 2011
- , Houston Chronicle, July 21, 2005
- , Ebert & Roeper, August 19, 2004
Scenes end abruptly, laughs are as rare as yetis, and the overarching question seems to be: Can we turn this into a franchise?
- Ed Park, Village Voice, August 17, 2004
- , Detroit Free Press, August 14, 2004
Sometimes charming, sometimes a tad too silly and all the time predictable, Princess Diaries 2 gives you what you'd expect and doesn't take many chances besides allowing for the possibility that a princess might be okay without a husband.
- Sara Gebhardt, Washington Post, August 13, 2004
There's not enough story in it to fill a shoebox.
- Stephen Hunter, Washington Post, August 11, 2004
Too blandly insubstantial to expand its appeal beyond its target demographic.
- Joe Leydon, Variety, August 11, 2004
We all love a good fairy tale, but the enchantment is missing in this predictable sequel.
- Claudia Puig, USA Today, August 11, 2004
The movie is undeniably cute. But it's also often a gooey mess, with a plot that manages to be both wearisome and preposterous (to grown-ups, that is).
- Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times, August 11, 2004
Offers enough glossy good cheer to appeal to everyone.
- Carla Meyer, San Francisco Chronicle, August 11, 2004
It's an 8-year-old girl's fantasy of adulthood, right down to the purple-and-scarlet uniforms worn by the Genovian National Guard.
- Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer, August 11, 2004
- Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel, August 11, 2004
[It's] unfair to allow grown-ups to wander into this alleged comedy without letting them know a few things first. One, that small children will be bored. Two, that they will be bored. Three: that they will be bored. Four: Zzzzzzzzzzz...
- John Anderson, Newsday, August 11, 2004
Though the picture is often trite and occasionally exasperating, the leading ladies give it a spoonful of sugar and a hint of enchantment.
- Lisa Rose, Newark Star-Ledger, August 11, 2004
A number of the goofy set pieces fall flat but tweens should be too busy swooning at midnight horse rides and bling-bling walk-in wardrobes to notice.
- Megan Lehmann, New York Post, August 11, 2004
Ought to charm its loyal subjects, or at least their less demanding little sisters.
- Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News, August 11, 2004
The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement picks up right where the 2001 hit original left off -- not only in its story line, but in its appeal to young girls.
- Jeff Strickler, Minneapolis Star Tribune, August 11, 2004
Lumpish excuse for a contemporary fairy tale.
- Ella Taylor, L.A. Weekly, August 12, 2004
- , AV Club, August 12, 2004