Way too serious for its own good.
- Peter Hartlaub, San Francisco Chronicle, August 09, 2012
- , New York Times, April 26, 2012
Roiling with jealousy, suicide and latent lesbian urges, "The Moth Diaries" dances on the border between hallucination and reality without fully committing to either.
- Jeannette Catsoulis, New York Times, April 19, 2012
The Moth Diaries fails to frighten, titillate or otherwise engage the imagination.
- Kathleen Murphy, MSN Movies, April 19, 2012
Harron can do little with this bloodless drama, a shadow of such quiet vampire treats as "Let the Right One In" and "The Addiction."
- Joe Neumaier, New York Daily News, April 19, 2012
Where are the shivers? The girls are properly fragile, ethereal and neurotic, but the way Ms. Harron gingerly moves them around like porcelain dolls is too careful to stir up much terror.
- Rex Reed, New York Observer, April 17, 2012
Lesbian desires, fears of mortality, and adolescent jealousies are all handled as bluntly as the unintentionally corny black-and-white flashbacks and gauzy dream sequences.
- Nick Schager, Village Voice, April 17, 2012
Defeats Harron's talent for exploring darkness on the edge of kinkiness.
- Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly, April 13, 2012
Not enough psychology to be intelligently creepy, and not enough schlock to be viscerally scary.
- Rick Groen, Globe and Mail, April 06, 2012
While there's plenty of promise, there's no payoff with this would-be horror.
- Linda Barnard, Toronto Star, April 05, 2012
Disastrously mishandled adaptation of a neo-Gothic novel set in a posh girls' college.
- Neil Young, Hollywood Reporter, September 08, 2011
Whither the filmmaker who gave us such memorable monsters as Patrick Bateman and Valerie Solanas, or such complex females as Bettie Page? Someone has apparently stolen the director's identity and is making movies under her name.
- David Fear, Time Out, April 17, 2012
Harron, a supremely intelligent adaptor who did wonders with the screen version of Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho, simply doesn't have the chops to give this story the florid kick it needs.
- Scott Tobias, AV Club, April 19, 2012