In his feature debut, director Tony Scott, brother of Ridley, exhibits the same penchant for eleborate art direction, minimal, humorless dialog and shooting in smoky rooms.
- Variety Staff, Variety, November 18, 2008
Visual sensualities will have a feast, but you'll have to read Whitley Strieber's novel if you don't want to emerge with a badly scratched head.
- , Time Out, June 24, 2006
The Hunger is an agonizingly bad vampire movie, circling around an exquisitely effective sex scene. Sorry, but that's the way it is, and your reporter has to be honest.
- Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times, October 23, 2004
The movie reeks with chic, but never, for one minute, takes itself too seriously, nor does it ever slop over into camp.
- Vincent Canby, New York Times, August 30, 2004
The obsessive conjunction of lesbian sex and flowing blood suggests a deep-seated misogyny, but neither this nor any other theme is registered with enough clarity to offend.
- Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader, January 01, 2000