Wants to be a twisty nail-biter, but never creates much suspense or surprise.
- Ian Buckwalter, The Atlantic, October 09, 2012
Orlando Bloom gives one of his most interesting performances; It's a creepy, effectively chilling piece of work.
- Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com, September 04, 2012
Its meaning is unclear. Its vital signs are shaky. And before long, the whole frail thing's on life support, just begging for somebody to pull the plug.
- Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger, August 31, 2012
Targeting age-old English class consciousness, not contemporary American healthcare woes, the movie is a shrewd commentary on careerism and status.
- Sheri Linden, Los Angeles Times, August 31, 2012
Whether you take it as a comment on our rote acceptance of authority figures or just a deliciously creepy character study, you'll come away from "The Good Doctor" wanting to keep religiously eating that apple a day.
- Sara Stewart, New York Post, August 31, 2012
If "The Good Doctor" isn't a bad movie, it tells only half the story.
- Stephen Holden, New York Times, August 30, 2012
The film is anchored and greatly bolstered by Bloom, who delivers a performance of quietly escalating madness.
- Nick Schager, Village Voice, August 28, 2012
A creepy, darkly funny bit of entertainment.
- Eric D. Snider, Film.com, May 06, 2011
Daly deftly creates a disturbing, Chabrol-like tension that plays on immediate identification with the handsome medico's lonely, shy vulnerability and slow-building horror at the depths to which his self-delusion can sink.
- Ronnie Scheib, Variety, April 26, 2011
The Good Doctor is far more content to creep you out than to offer a critique.
- David Fear, Time Out New York, August 28, 2012
It's a portrait-as-thriller whose fundamental elements are all fine, but whose protagonist just isn't as grippingly complex as the film needs him to be.
- Alison Willmore, AV Club, August 30, 2012