Ingenious action sequences driven by surprisingly little plot lead to a climax full of the transmogrification animation was invented for.
- Lisa Alspector, Chicago Reader, November 16, 2009
Emperor doesn't aim too high or strain too hard; it is at ease inhabiting its pretty, miniature realm.
- Richard Corliss, TIME Magazine, September 08, 2008
Groove boasts some innovative tricks and sharp performances. Oh, and not too many songs. Phew.
- Daniel Etherington, Film4, September 08, 2008
The unfussy, tossed-off quality actually helps give this original story zippy irreverence some of Disney's plusher cartoons lack.
- David Ansen, Newsweek, March 31, 2008
This Disney comedy makes a self-conscious and largely successful attempt to modernise the studio's format with a jive-ass sensibility.
- Wally Hammond, Time Out, June 24, 2006
Will the kids buy it? You bet they will.
- Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail, April 05, 2002
- Garth Franklin, Dark Horizons, October 30, 2001
This is the best Warner Brothers cartoon Disney ever made.
- George Perry, BBC, April 16, 2001
It has a freewheeling script and daredevil animation -- driven by a script that assumes everyone is hip and cool and totally in tune with animation as entertainment.
- Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile, April 09, 2001
Fun but quickly forgettable.
- , Empire Magazine, February 16, 2001
- Robert Denerstein, Denver Rocky Mountain News, February 07, 2001
Funky, funny and free of ersatz Broadway cheese.
- Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star, December 15, 2000
An audience dominated by young children was disconcertingly quiet during a preview screening.
- Susan Stark, Detroit News, December 15, 2000
I admit I feel a little guilty to be praising a production whose aims are so thoroughly modest, but I laughed all the way through this movie.
- Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel, December 15, 2000
The best Warner Bros. cartoon ever created by the Walt Disney Studios.
- Gene Seymour, Newsday, December 15, 2000
Neither the best nor the most endearing of Disney, but it's a sassy amusement. And nicely short.
- , Houston Chronicle, December 15, 2000
The first Disney animated movie since The Little Mermaid that amounts to nothing more than a throwaway.
- Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press, December 15, 2000
Feels like some lame, focus-grouped attempt by a bunch of people who have grown hopelessly middle-aged to make themselves hip with the kids.
- Bruce Newman, San Jose Mercury News, December 15, 2000
The animation and conception of the film seldom approach the exalted and imaginative level of Disney's better efforts in the genre.
- Desmond Ryan, Philadelphia Inquirer, December 15, 2000
With made-up myths and willful anachronisms, New Groove finds that crucial balance of kid appeal and wry references aimed at adults.
- Christine Dolen, Miami Herald, December 15, 2000