- Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly, September 07, 2011
An empty shell.
- Todd McCarthy, Variety, August 05, 2008
Three major stars being involved, it all wraps up happily but implausibly.
- Derek Adams, Time Out, June 24, 2006
- Jeff Strickler, Minneapolis Star Tribune, November 06, 2002
The ending, though emotionally satisfying, collapses under scrutiny. This lack of payoff is a real flaw in a film pitched to a discriminating sci-fi mentality.
- Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle, June 18, 2002
Given its situational premise -- outer space goes underwater -- Sphere is filled with visual potential, yet Levinson can't tap it. He's just a whole lot more comfortable trying to tame the human software than the technical hardware.
- Rick Groen, Globe and Mail, April 12, 2002
As the umpteenth entrant in the We-Are-Not-Alone sweepstakes, Sphere feels awfully familiar because it is.
- Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times, February 14, 2001
While this is no quick-witted treat on a par with Mr. Levinson's Wag the Dog, it's a solid thriller with showy scientific overtones.
- Janet Maslin, New York Times, January 01, 2000
- Susan Stark, Detroit News, January 01, 2000
Somewhere out there, maybe there's a small cadre of film-goers who will appreciate Sphere's dubious charms, but I'm not among them.
- James Berardinelli, ReelViews, January 01, 2000
- , USA Today, January 01, 2000
Sphere winds up just a load of balls.
- Charles Taylor, Salon.com, January 01, 2000
The only excellence is in the acting, and even then the screenplay puts the characters through so many U-turns that dramatic momentum is impossible.
- Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times, January 01, 2000
There are some things that humankind is just better off not knowing about.
- David Denby, New York Magazine, January 01, 2000
- , Entertainment Weekly, February 13, 1998