This debut feature by Kerry Conran is a triumph not only for its technical mastery but for its good taste.
- J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader, June 08, 2007
The clincher is how the actors are reduced to puppets and ciphers; Paltrow straight-jacketed in her Hildy Johnson-style two-piece and the evidently bored Law reduced throughout half the movie to giving the gimlet eye through flying goggles.
- Wally Hammond, Time Out, February 09, 2006
Such an interestingly silly movie that I found myself idly wondering what particular audience was being targeted with its peculiar conceits and infinitude of special effects.
- Andrew Sarris, New York Observer, October 01, 2004
His nostalgia enabled by technology, Conran takes the ghosts in his machine seriously, and the results appear at once meltingly lovely and intriguingly inhuman.
- Ed Park, Village Voice, September 21, 2004
Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of style-over- substance movies, but this one is so gorgeous that it's possible to become literally lost in the richness of the images.
- James Berardinelli, ReelViews, September 19, 2004
Ultimately seems more like a fancy mechanical toy than a work of art we can warm up to.
- Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com, September 18, 2004
A clever parlor trick but a dull movie.
- Claudia Puig, USA Today, September 17, 2004
With its silky textures and fluffed up fake-studio imagery, Sky Captain is like a big warm pillow that threatens to smother you in downy gorgeousness.
- Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star, September 17, 2004
Sky Captain never exceeds the level of a clever exercise.
- Carla Hall, San Francisco Chronicle, September 17, 2004
Marvelous fun to watch.
- Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times, September 17, 2004
The visuals are something, the story something less.
- Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel, September 17, 2004
Although Conran clearly enjoys the period, it's a stolen nostalgia -- you're not getting his memories of it, or even his memories of its films, but rather his memories of other people's memories of its films.
- Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger, September 17, 2004
Missing beneath its fabulous surface, however, is anything like a beating heart.
- Jack Mathews, New York Daily News, September 17, 2004
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow may be one of those films that leaves you humming the scenery, but it's a tune you won't easily forget.
- Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times, September 17, 2004
Half of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a film of breathtaking vision and craftsmanship, a work of art that both summarizes the early history of cinema and takes it brilliantly, shimmeringly forward. The other half is not.
- Amy Biancolli, Houston Chronicle, September 17, 2004
What begins as childlike and filled with wonder ends as childish and fraught with tedium.
- Rick Groen, Globe and Mail, September 17, 2004
A technological wonder from beginning to end.
- Tom Long, Detroit News, September 17, 2004
Sky Captain is so breathlessly paced, so consistently entertaining and so visually dazzling that nitpicking at its inspirations is near impossible to do while you're enjoying the ride.
- Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press, September 17, 2004
An amazing synthesis -- of computerized animation and live action, of new technology and star power and of a contemporary sensibility and an appreciation for Hollywood magic of the '30s and '40s.
- Robert Denerstein, Denver Rocky Mountain News, September 17, 2004
A breathtakingly beautiful sci-fi adventure.
- Lou Lumenick, New York Post, September 17, 2004