- Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal, December 25, 2010
School of Rock made me laugh harder than any movie I've seen this year.
- David Ansen, Newsweek, November 01, 2007
A cathartic class comedy for kids of all sizes, it's Bugsy Malone in rock pomp, Slacker meets Spy Kids.
- Derek Adams, Time Out, June 24, 2006
It would be a shame if only kids went to see this film. Adults who can still plug in to their inner rocker, if only to play air guitar, will love it, too.
- Peter Rainer, New York Magazine, August 07, 2004
A raucous crowd pleaser with a pumping soundtrack, some awe inspiringly talented kids, and perfect comic performances.
- Chris Hewitt (UK), Empire Magazine, May 14, 2004
It's irreverent without crossing the line, and hits a tender note without lapsing into maudlin sentiment.
- Stella Papamichael, BBC, January 15, 2004
- Luke Buckmaster, In Film Australia, November 26, 2003
- , Sunday Times (Australia), November 17, 2003
With its energetic, highly contagious and zany fun pitched at a thousand decibels, School of Rock combines hefty laughs with a truly sweet heart.
- Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile, November 07, 2003
School of Rock is uncut bliss.
- David Edelstein, Slate, October 10, 2003
Hail! Hail! Jack Black: He's the clown king of rock & roll.
- Peter Travers, Rolling Stone, October 09, 2003
[A] great big ball of entertainment ...
- Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper, October 06, 2003
A great big chord of fun.
- Robert Denerstein, Denver Rocky Mountain News, October 04, 2003
A clever and sometimes a beautiful thing.
- Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com, October 04, 2003
A movie for almost everyone, from boomer parents (who remember their teens and twenties) to their teenage kids (who can't wait to get started with same).
- Desson Thomson, Washington Post, October 03, 2003
Exuberant, raucous and thoroughly endearing.
- Ann Hornaday, Washington Post, October 03, 2003
Not only a glove-fit of a movie for the volcanic Black, School Of Rock proves a surprisingly deft foray into pure, unadulterated fun for the gifted indie smart guy Linklater.
- Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star, October 03, 2003
You'll think about it, weeks after seeing it, with a dopey grin on your face. (Yes, right now I have just such a grin on my face. Wanna make something of it?)
- Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times, October 03, 2003
- , Reverse Shot, May 06, 2006
- , Independent, February 07, 2004