- Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal, December 25, 2010
School of Rock made me laugh harder than any movie I've seen this year.
- David Ansen, Newsweek, November 01, 2007
A cathartic class comedy for kids of all sizes, it's Bugsy Malone in rock pomp, Slacker meets Spy Kids.
- Derek Adams, Time Out, June 24, 2006
It would be a shame if only kids went to see this film. Adults who can still plug in to their inner rocker, if only to play air guitar, will love it, too.
- Peter Rainer, New York Magazine, August 07, 2004
School of Rock is uncut bliss.
- David Edelstein, Slate, October 10, 2003
Hail! Hail! Jack Black: He's the clown king of rock & roll.
- Peter Travers, Rolling Stone, October 09, 2003
[A] great big ball of entertainment ...
- Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper, October 06, 2003
A great big chord of fun.
- Robert Denerstein, Denver Rocky Mountain News, October 04, 2003
A clever and sometimes a beautiful thing.
- Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com, October 04, 2003
A movie for almost everyone, from boomer parents (who remember their teens and twenties) to their teenage kids (who can't wait to get started with same).
- Desson Thomson, Washington Post, October 03, 2003
Exuberant, raucous and thoroughly endearing.
- Ann Hornaday, Washington Post, October 03, 2003
Not only a glove-fit of a movie for the volcanic Black, School Of Rock proves a surprisingly deft foray into pure, unadulterated fun for the gifted indie smart guy Linklater.
- Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star, October 03, 2003
You'll think about it, weeks after seeing it, with a dopey grin on your face. (Yes, right now I have just such a grin on my face. Wanna make something of it?)
- Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times, October 03, 2003
Coherent, hilarious and surprisingly sweet.
- Peter Hartlaub, San Francisco Chronicle, October 03, 2003
A happy, hoot-and-holler crowd-pleasing package.
- Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel, October 03, 2003
Linklater's direction -- right from the tossed-off opening credits -- is the happiest and most relaxed it's been since Dazed and Confused.
- Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger, October 03, 2003
A hip and consistently hilarious family comedy.
- Lou Lumenick, New York Post, October 03, 2003
This is fun for everyone, even those (like me) who hate contemporary rock music.
- Jack Mathews, New York Daily News, October 03, 2003
Linklater strikes just the right power chords here. He respects rock enough to keep it real, and he has enough rein on Black to ground his wildness in warmth while avoiding easy sentiment.
- Bruce Westbrook, Houston Chronicle, October 03, 2003
A picture with pop's delicious energy yet none of its attendant risk, a flick that no one will love but everyone will like.
- Rick Groen, Globe and Mail, October 03, 2003