The stars are endearing enough to keep things tolerable, though you may wonder why even McGregor's Scots brogue sounds artificially sweetened here.
- Guy Lodge, Time Out, April 17, 2012
While "Salmon Fishing" fritters away the comic momentum of its madcap opening chapters, it's like angling -- a pleasant diversion if you can look below the surface and muster the patience to appreciate it.
- Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune, March 22, 2012
A charming little movie.
- Bill Goodykoontz, Arizona Republic, March 22, 2012
While both Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor are enormously appealing actors, Hallstrom has made a movie that pretends it is something it's not -- namely, an intelligent romantic comedy.
- John Anderson, Newsday, March 16, 2012
Hallstrom shores up his film with a terrific cast that can often make up for the parts that sag under the uneven weight of preciousness.
- Connie Ogle, Miami Herald, March 29, 2012
Only Scott Thomas, biting off all her sentences like a piranha, rescues "Salmon Fishing" from being a by-the-numbers romantic comedy; you wish the redoubtable Ms. Maxwell had her own movie.
- Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times, March 22, 2012
It's an engaging love story that should appeal to moviegoers with a flair for the offbeat.
- Calvin Wilson, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, March 23, 2012
Despite sporting the worst cinematic title since The Chumscrubber, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen hooks some charming laughs and a quaint romance by not delving too deeply into its subject matter.
- Scott Bowles, USA Today, March 15, 2012
I'll say this much for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, it's got a catchy title. But beware of films with catchy titles. The films themselves usually don't live up to them.
- Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor, March 09, 2012
Salmon Fishing was a novel first and you can see how all these juggled balls could stay in the air on the page, but in movie form, many of them just seem extraneous.
- Mary F. Pols, TIME Magazine, March 09, 2012
Hallstrom ... goes for a "Local Hero"-type feeling, but the movie has to swim upstream to get anywhere.
- Joe Neumaier, New York Daily News, March 09, 2012
Enter forewarned. Or better yet - head upstream and don't be lured in at all.
- Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger, March 09, 2012
Make the leap, and you'll be delighted by a movie that's sugary goodness, a guilty pleasure.
- Rick Groen, Globe and Mail, March 09, 2012
Trust me: These are characters with whom it's a pleasure to spend a couple of hours.
- Lou Lumenick, New York Post, March 09, 2012
Makes use of pink-fleshed vertebrates as the inspiration for sweet romantic musings on love and life, faith and patience - and the courage to go against the flow.
- Amy Biancolli, San Francisco Chronicle, March 08, 2012
Somehow managing to be both twee and edgy, the absurdist but gently winning romantic comedy Salmon Fishing in the Yemen works a strange kind of wonder.
- Ann Hornaday, Washington Post, March 08, 2012
The appeal of the film depends on the charm of Mr. McGregor and Ms. Blunt, whose polite but discreetly charged connection is the story's emotional center.
- Stephen Holden, New York Times, March 08, 2012
In the end Salmon Fishing reassures more than it excites, but all props are due to a commercial movie that helps demolish the stereotype of the Arab as bloodthirsty primitive.
- Ella Taylor, NPR, March 08, 2012
The withering political pungency, the commentary on terrorism and the searing critique of nationalism and patriotism that made the book a best-seller in the U.K. are replaced by a comforting surface sheen and a lot of unconvincing nonsense...
- Greg Quill, Toronto Star, March 08, 2012
It is what it is, and if you find McGregor and Blunt appealing, the movie will have you feeling similarly about it.
- Steven Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer, March 08, 2012