Plaza and Duplass are enormously watchable, and there's a sweet sadness in the movie's focus on lost dreams and missed chances, and the truism that we all long for a time machine every once in a while.
- Tom Huddleston, Time Out, December 18, 2012
Safety Not Guaranteed is droll and hilarious, but there isn't a cheap laugh in it, and the ending is so perfect it sends you soaring.
- Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald, June 22, 2012
"Safety" can't sustain its own offbeat energy. By the end, even Aubrey Plaza would roll her eyes at it.
- Adam Graham, Detroit News, June 22, 2012
Neatly, the script embarks on one journey while dangling the possibility of another: the prospect of taking a sudden leap from comic reality into the realm of pure imagination.
- Rick Groen, Globe and Mail, June 15, 2012
"Safety Not Guaranteed" is most vibrant and vital at its edges, in the way that the characters interact with each other while waiting for something to happen.
- Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post, June 15, 2012
"Safety Not Guaranteed" is eccentric enough to get mistaken for an uplifting fantasy, but it's Plaza who belongs in the penthouse.
- Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, June 21, 2012
It's brisk and assured and never begs the audience's indulgence. No time is wasted. The movie is, at every moment, either funny or pushing the story forward, or both.
- Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle, June 14, 2012
The film is modest but skillful and heartfelt, spiced just so by Plaza and company.
- Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune, June 14, 2012
Safety Not Guaranteed casts an enchanting spell from its opening scene.
- Claudia Puig, USA Today, June 14, 2012
Expectedly funny but unexpectedly touching, too.
- Steven Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer, June 14, 2012
A confident, quick-witted romantic comedy that is a giddy joy from start to finish.
- Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune, June 14, 2012
A pleasantly ramshackle affair balanced uniquely between the crass and the sweet.
- Ty Burr, Boston Globe, June 14, 2012
The film almost spirals out of control when some overtly conceptual elements are introduced to the plot, but there's enough conviction in the performances to keep them tolerable.
- Drew Hunt, Chicago Reader, June 14, 2012
A charming movie that blends comedy, romance and science fiction -- not necessarily the most obvious combination of genres, but one that director Colin Trevorrow and writer Derek Connolly manage with assured ease.
- Bill Goodykoontz, Arizona Republic, June 14, 2012
Safety Not Guaranteed rewards those willing to ditch cynicism for a playful world where anything is possible.
- Linda Barnard, Toronto Star, June 14, 2012
"Safety Not Guaranteed" not only has dialogue that's about something, but characters who have some depth and dimension.
- Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times, June 14, 2012
"Charming" and "sweet" are two words that can be applied to this movie, which is considerably gentler than the R-rating might imply.
- James Berardinelli, ReelViews, June 12, 2012
A slight, wistful comedy that, at least up to the ambitious but unsatisfying final scenes, combines sci-fi and rom-com to pleasing effect.
- Dana Stevens, Slate, June 08, 2012
Connolly ... goes beyond indie clichés to understand these characters, find their humanity and make us feel for them.
- Kyle Smith, New York Post, June 08, 2012
Because nothing plays out as anticipated, this off-balance project comes fully alive on screen in a way a written summary can't capture.
- Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times, June 07, 2012