The occasional efficient action sequence means that 'Safe' never gets truly dull, but even Statham aficionados might feel short- changed by this one.
- Tom Huddleston, Time Out, May 01, 2012
The thoroughly mediocre Safe provides little more than an excuse for Statham to do what Statham does better than anyone else: look stern while punishing bad guys. That's just not enough.
- Ian Buckwalter, The Atlantic, April 30, 2012
It's like another "Transporter'' installment trying to be something slightly more - and not quite delivering the goods.
- Tom Russo, Boston Globe, April 28, 2012
Despite some impressively gritty street-level action, Safe plays it far too safe.
- Stephen Dalton, Hollywood Reporter, April 27, 2012
Yeah, "Safe" is a long way from perfect. But rented, in a few months, it'll go great with a six-pack and a hold-the-anchovies special.
- Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger, April 27, 2012
The plot first strains and then assassinates credulity, while Yakin's handling of the action/mayhem runs the gamut from the merely dull to what-the-hell's-going-on.
- Rick Groen, Globe and Mail, April 27, 2012
This whip-smart, brutally funny and gleefully nasty film is one of the year's best surprises.
- Rafer Guzman, Newsday, April 27, 2012
There are zero surprises, but it looks good, moves well through a trim running time and wields its clichés with defiant aplomb.
- Farran Smith Nehme, New York Post, April 27, 2012
- , St. Louis Post-Dispatch, January 22, 2013
Barrels through cliché after cliché and hurdles from borough to borough with a welcome abandon for logic, morality, and mortality alike.
- William Goss, Film.com, April 27, 2012
Yakin's slick direction, marked by quick cuts, unstinting energy and a lack of sentimentality, makes the action scenes satisfying. But he's a better director than writer.
- Claudia Puig, USA Today, April 26, 2012
If only someone would offer this actor a project worthy of the full range of his talent.
- Andy Webster, New York Times, April 26, 2012
None of this bears much or any resemblance to the real world, but the violence crunches, the editing snaps and the humorous one-liners pop at well-timed junctures.
- Amy Biancolli, San Francisco Chronicle, April 26, 2012
The trouble with Safe is that you know where it's going every step of the way.
- Peter Travers, Rolling Stone, April 26, 2012
It's hard to imagine a die-hard action fan being disappointed.
- James Berardinelli, ReelViews, April 26, 2012
Safe winds up being a B-movie with A-movie credentials, and all the more entertaining for it.
- Alonso Duralde, The Wrap, April 26, 2012
Yakin gives his star plenty of room to look mean, think fast, drive faster, punch, quip, mow down and charismatically bond with the most imperiled child character in screen memory.
- Robert Abele, Los Angeles Times, April 26, 2012
It's not just laziness - although it's a fair cop - that prompts the observation that Safe is both the worst movie title and attitude for Jason Statham at this stage of his career.
- Peter Howell, Toronto Star, April 26, 2012
Held on the shelf for a while until the marquee was (briefly) clear of action dramas, "Safe" arrives filled with bombast and sneers but barely any thrills.
- Joe Neumaier, New York Daily News, April 26, 2012
Let the bullets fly. Let the bodies fall. Let a man who was grieving and suicidal rise up and wreak rough justice. And boy is it rough. And ever so satisfying.
- Soren Anderson, Seattle Times, April 26, 2012