Yes, it's a B movie sci-fi thriller, but not many prestige pictures have this much going on underneath the surface.
- Tom Charity, CNN.com, January 04, 2013
That first hour cooks. And the second hour brings Emily Blunt into the story, which is a fine thing for any second half to offer.
- Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune, January 04, 2013
If the whole thing leaves you rubbing your temples, just a bit... well, this headache's sort of worth it.
- Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger, January 04, 2013
The reasoning behind all this may not reward prolonged inspection, but Johnson is smart enough to press onward with his plot, leaving us with neither the time nor the desire to linger over the logic ...
- Anthony Lane, New Yorker, October 01, 2012
Writer-director Rian Johnson establishes himself as an original talent who clearly believes storytelling must prevail.
- Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com, September 30, 2012
A mind-bending ride that is not afraid to slow down now and again, to explore themes of regret and redemption, solitude and sacrifice, love and loss. It's a movie worth seeing and, perhaps, going back to see again.
- Christopher Orr, The Atlantic, September 28, 2012
Looper has more heart than Brick and the 2008 con-man flick The Brothers Bloom. Both fine achievements, they could also be described as viscerally cerebral.
- Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post, September 28, 2012
I'm a sucker for time-travel movies.
- Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor, September 28, 2012
Looper felt to me like a maddening near-miss ...
- Dana Stevens, Slate, September 28, 2012
It's a head flip of a time trip.
- Peter Howell, Toronto Star, September 28, 2012
This is an exciting, exceptionally well-made futuristic thriller that also happens to be loaded with lived-in touches and punchy ideas.
- Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald, September 28, 2012
Johnson doesn't explain too much, but he explains just enough about how two people can be one person, and how the younger entity's actions, in real time, can affect the memory of the older entity.
- Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle, September 28, 2012
[It] may begin as a "Terminator"-like piece of time travel escapism, but ultimately gathers Old Testament-worthy force and fury.
- Ann Hornaday, Washington Post, September 28, 2012
An indie-inflected popcorn movie with major brains, brilliant acting and a highly satisfying payoff, "Looper'' is the first must-see movie of the season.
- Lou Lumenick, New York Post, September 28, 2012
"Looper" looks like and is a blast; what's really cool is it's even more than that.
- Tom Long, Detroit News, September 28, 2012
I found myself dreaming of the days when Willis would take a rest from Die Hard-ing to do character cameos of unexpected depth and pathos: Pulp Fiction, Nobody's Fool, and a few others. Now he clings to stoic longevity, and shoots people.
- David Thomson, The New Republic, June 14, 2013
Johnson's action scenes occasionally stumble, but the devilishly clever script makes "Looper" a thrilling, dizzying ride.
- Rafer Guzman, Newsday, September 28, 2012
The dialogue is as clever as the conceit.
- Rick Groen, Globe and Mail, September 28, 2012
While "Looper" lacks the heft of a classic, this wayback machine is worth taking for a spin.
- Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, September 28, 2012
This is a genuinely tough-minded and unpredictable movie, one of the fall's most enjoyable entertainments ...
- Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com, September 27, 2012