- , Urban Cinefile, June 20, 2012
It offers shallow pleasures and the satisfaction of seeing two actors in performances better than the film deserves.
- Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times, June 07, 2012
I'm not sure the social prejudices Gavras tries to mine for laughs here quite exist anymore.
- Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com, April 13, 2012
It's a delight to see William Hurt and Isabella Rossellini given an age-appropriate showcase that doesn't involve heavy artillery.
- Lou Lumenick, New York Post, April 13, 2012
In a performance that is much deeper than the rest of the movie, Mr. Hurt allows Adam's anger and fear to leak out of his electric blue eyes, which are frequently on the brink of tears.
- Stephen Holden, New York Times, April 12, 2012
Ultimately, it's not distinctive enough to draw viewers who haven't given much thought to aging. But that still leaves a substantial audience for the film's gentle laughs and modest insights.
- Mark Jenkins, NPR, April 12, 2012
"Late Bloomers" could have been a much better movie, if only director and co-writer Julie Gavras were as sensible as her actors.
- Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News, April 12, 2012
[Rossellini] is radiant in a profoundly ordinary and believable way, as always, and stirs up generational pathos all by herself.
- Michael Atkinson, Village Voice, April 10, 2012
While the world could certainly use more films about characters entering their sunset years, a solution as toothless and saggy as Julie Gavras' Late Bloomers does little to help the cause.
- Peter Debruge, Variety, February 23, 2012
Getting old ain't fun in this dreary comedy drama.
- Don Groves, sbs.com.au, February 20, 2012
Extra discredit to the embarrassingly jaunty score by Sodi Marciszewer, which should be taken behind the recording studio and shot.
- Keith Uhlich, Time Out New York, April 10, 2012
Late Bloomers is at its best when it's being breezy and simply taking pleasure in its lead actors, who turn in strong performances in spite of certain clunky character developments.
- Alison Willmore, AV Club, April 12, 2012