Like a retro version of High School Musical with less charm.
- Leslie Felperin, Variety, April 18, 2012
Heartfelt interpretations of Seventies rock are only part of the appeal of nostalgia-drenched high school drama.
- John DeFore, Hollywood Reporter, April 18, 2012
Driver delivers a characteristic combination of savvy and likeability and the period and sun-dappled photography are nicely handled.
- Ben Walters, Time Out, February 29, 2012
Golden-hued, feel-good treacle, the sort that the U.K. has tried to export ever since Billy Elliot.
- Amy Nicholson, Los Angeles Times, March 22, 2013
The golden-hued cinematography (a filming cliché that really needs to be retired) and the sometimes slack direction by Marc Evans are minuses ...
- Lou Lumenick, New York Post, March 22, 2013
At various moments this endearing but sudsy movie, which spills all over the place, evokes "High School Musical," "Glee" and "Billy Elliot."
- Stephen Holden, New York Times, March 21, 2013
Hunky Dory flits along blithely from number to transporting musical number until it ends - with a sigh - and dodges any authentic engagement with its own ideas.
- Joel Arnold, NPR, March 21, 2013
Enthusiasm carries the day in this paint-by-numbers period tale, which is just charming enough to coast on its own clichés.
- Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News, March 21, 2013
Hunky Dory has some pleasant things in it, but unfortunately, the funereal pace makes a snail look like a jackrabbit.
- Rex Reed, New York Observer, March 20, 2013
Surprisingly, it's not bad.
- Pete Vonder Haar, Village Voice, March 19, 2013
When it's indulging in glammed-up musical sequences, Hunky Dory comes to life; everything else couldn't seem less inspiring.
- Keith Phipps, Time Out New York, March 19, 2013