- Keith Uhlich, Time Out, November 16, 2011
It's all up there on the screen in this impassioned, exhilarating documentary. They want to dance for you. It's what they did for love.
- Jonathan F. Richards, Film.com, August 23, 2009
I was thrilled and moved by Every Little Step, despite the abundance of bad dancing pouring out of reality television these days, because it's about the real thing, and offers marvellous insights into of the process of creating a Broadway hit.
- Ruth Hessey, MovieTime, ABC Radio National, July 02, 2009
Every Little Step is a terrific documentary history lesson about how Michael Bennett rounded up a bunch of New York singing, acting dancers, interviewed them and found out what they 'did for love,' back in January of 1974.
- Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel, June 03, 2009
You can't judge A Chorus Line by its film version; it's one of the lousiest movie musicals ever. But you can assess the stage original's influence by the wonderful new documentary Every Little Step.
- Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune, May 29, 2009
Fans of choreographer Michael Bennett's blockbuster, which broke new ground when it opened in 1975, will find much to love here.
- Linda Barnard, Toronto Star, May 29, 2009
Every Little Step is an uncommonly tender and observant documentary.
- Stephen Cole, Globe and Mail, May 28, 2009
They want the recognition we all want, and the film persuades you that almost every one of them deserves it.
- Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune, May 22, 2009
Every Little Step is a feat of editing and sound design.
- Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post, May 22, 2009
A riveting documentary from James D. Stern and Adam Del Deo.
- Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times, June 19, 2009
Every Little Step never rises above being a very good showbiz documentary. But it's an engaging tribute to a groundbreaking musical.
- Calvin Wilson, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, June 04, 2009
Some of the documentary's best moments capture the expressions of Avian and his assistants as they are caught unawares by an unexpectedly powerful audition.
- Peter Marks, Washington Post, May 22, 2009
It instills an appreciation for the tremendous amount of work and passion that the performers put into their craft.
- Kerry Lengel, Arizona Republic, May 21, 2009
A moving, passionate tribute to determination and heart, whatever you might choose to do in your life.
- Connie Ogle, Miami Herald, May 14, 2009
The exuberant documentary Every Little Step revisits the genesis of the landmark show about the gestation and delivery of a Broadway musical.
- Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer, May 14, 2009
Their history of the show, studded with clips from Bennett's original audiotapes, adds a fascinating subtext: in chronicling Broadway, A Chorus Line changed it forever.
- J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader, May 14, 2009
We should be kneeling on concrete to remind ourselves what dues these artists pay.
- Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times, May 14, 2009
The film is as much about the creation of the original show back in 1975 and the genius of the late Michael Bennett, who masterminded it, as it is about the newer version.
- David Wiegand, San Francisco Chronicle, May 08, 2009
[An] engrossing backstage documentary -- OK, pre-backstage.
- Wesley Morris, Boston Globe, April 30, 2009
I know what to expect. I am going to see some dancers make it, some not make it, and that's what it is.
- Ben Lyons, At the Movies, April 27, 2009