- , Empire Magazine, March 16, 2012
This affectionate documentary celebrates the veteran photographer who, at 84, still works a tough schedule, taking photos on the street of real people wearing real fashion.
- Peter Bradshaw, Guardian [UK], March 15, 2012
He was the first, and what's obvious from this lively and engaging doc, an original.
- Cath Clarke, Time Out, March 13, 2012
There's few sharp edges or dirt digging, but it's no less engaging for that.
- David Parkinson, Empire Magazine, March 11, 2012
A collective of well-groomed talking heads chronicle Cunningham's career as a milliner-turned-fashion historian, and their insights speak volumes about the origins of this pillar of integrity's faultless work ethic.
- Fiona Williams, sbs.com.au, January 31, 2012
Whatever this Times-produced, TV-ready tribute lacks in tension is amply compensated by the pleasure of watching an enthusiast ply the craft he loves.
- Ronnie Scheib, Variety, January 04, 2012
Don't worry if you've never heard of Bill Cunningham. This delightful documentary is all about getting to know the man - and he's a major, fascinating character.
- CJ Johnson, ABC Radio (Australia), December 14, 2011
It is both insightful and strangely moving.
- Margaret Pomeranz, At the Movies (Australia), November 03, 2011
A wonderfully understated delight.
- Ed Gibbs, The Sun Herald, October 30, 2011
This is a fascinating portrait of a unique character who has built his own world out the worlds of others. Quite unlike poseur photographers, he dresses, eats sleeps and talks simply; he gets around on a push bike. And he smiles a lot
- Andrew L. Urban, Urban Cinefile, October 29, 2011
This is a rare and special film that should be savoured
- Louise Keller, Urban Cinefile, October 29, 2011
It's not just what he does. It's who he is. And he approaches it with such unbridled passion and joy that you can't help but sharing in it; absolutely no knowledge or love of fashion is required.
- Bill Goodykoontz, Arizona Republic, June 23, 2011
[A] marvelous documentary.
- Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly, June 14, 2011
Here is a movie about a happy and nice man.
- Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times, May 19, 2011
Filmmaker Richard Press offers a humorous, touching and insightful portrait about a subject who clearly would have preferred to stay behind the camera.
- Sara Glassman, Minneapolis Star Tribune, May 05, 2011
Bill Cunningham New York is as winning as its subject, the affable chronicler of New York style from the sidewalk to the runway.
- Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail, April 22, 2011
Bill Cunningham New York shows us a man who not only derives great pleasure from devoting himself to his job but also, in the process, has helped shaped the greatest city in the world.
- Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald, April 20, 2011
He finds beauty; watching him, we find joy.
- Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times, April 28, 2011
Bill Cunningham New York is a minor joy, lurking amid the week's non-fiction.
- Nigel Andrews, Financial Times, March 15, 2012
Gives you new perspectives of fashion, photography and New York.
- Andy Tweddle, Little White Lies, March 15, 2012